The Three Questions by Leo Tolstoy is all about the themes full of wisdom , acknowledgement, forgiveness and humility.This story tells the questions asked by king and his quest to know the answers.Here is the detailed info of the story.
This story was written by Leo Tolstoy back in 1903.He was Russian writer mostly famous because of his ever lasting works like war and peace.
The Three Questions Summary
Before discussing the three questions summary,here are the three questions that were asked by the king:
- What’s the right time to do the right thing?
- Who’s the most important or mandatory person?
- What’s the most important or worthy thing to do?
For searching the answers of above three questions,king called many wise and intellectuals.Every man came up with his own opinion.Some said king should go for magicians and ask them about the right time to do the right thing.
For the second question,some told him doctors are the most important ones he should know,some recommended soldiers.Everyone had their own opinions.Coming to the last question,some said science is most worthy things while some said he need to work on religion.Everyone had his own opinion and none of them impressed king.So none of them got any reward from king.
The king made decision and decided to visit a well known hermit.He was digging ground and was looking exhausted.The king came near to him and told him his purpose of being there.He tried to dig ground for some time and repeated his questions but still hermit didn’t answer him.
Then,the hermit was digging ground when they saw an old man having a beard was running towards them.He was injured and had wound on his stomach.The king tried his best to stop his blood leakage.When he got better,king and hermit carried that man to the hat and he rested.
In the morning,the bearded man was asking forgiveness from the king.The king was astonished like what the hell was going on?The man told him that he was his foe because king had killed his brother and captured their property.When he knew about king visit to hermit,he decided to kill the king but when king didn’t return for long ,he came out from the site or bushed where he was hiding.On emergence,he got attacked by king soldiers and somehow he escaped and run toward king.
He further told king how he has inspired him soo much.The king forgave this mean and promised he’ll do his best to help that man.After that,king came out of that hat and looked for hermit who was digging.King last time asked him the answers of his three questions.Hermit told him that he already got his answers.
Hermit told him the answer of first question.He said the best time for the right thing was when he helped that wounded man.The second answer was the most important person was the hermit who was with king at that moment and the last answer was the the most important thing he did was helping that bearded man.This thing saved king from his foe and he got a life.
Simply he said to him the most important thing is living in moment or present .The most important one is ourselves as we can’t trust on future.The last answer is the most important thing is being kind to others because there’s a purpose of life in the world.
The Three Questions Analysis
- In simple,this story mostly explores the points like try to live in moment and humility.From the story point,I had learned why it’s important to being mind to others.
- The king although was kind and his this action secured his life.Morever, you’ll learn and analyze the behavior of king after recognizing his enemy.Instead of killing his enemy,king promised him that he’ll reward him.
The Three Questions Themes
- Here are the themes from short story the three questions:
Live in the moment
From the hermit answer , you’ll learn why it’s important to live in present because future is unpredictable while past has not an advantage.This motivate readers to live in the moment.
- King one kind gesture saved his life and his foe became his friend.This aspect of story inspire readers that try to be kind.
Go And Search Solutions
King went out alone for getting his answers.This thing motivated me as we should not sit down and look for solutions but try to stand straight and take actions.
King kind gesture at end of story had motivated me.He didn’t took revenge but forgave his foe.Its a motivational gesture.
The Three Questions Character Analysis
You’ll get a image of king in your mind when you read the story.I got these traits in him:
- He’s keen to learn new things
- Discuss the problems with his Minister’s
- He’s bold and take action
- Seems kind to others(he helped hermit in digging and also his foe)
Here is the three questions character sketch of hermit.In the story,the hermit seems to possess these qualities:
- He’s old may be as he look weak and exhausted
- He looked hardworking man as he was digging ground
- He seemed wise(his answers)
Bearded Wounded Man
He was the one who tried to kill king but was impressed by king gesture.
Lessons From The Three Questions Summary
Each book has some message for readers and the same you’ll get from this story book by Leo Tolstoy.Here are lessons you can learn from this story:
- Enjoy the moment and don’t depend too much on future
- Try to ask questions from yourself and look for the answers
- Try to help others (like king did)
- Don’t take revenge but try to forgive your enemies
- Discuss your problems with your cabinet(like king did in the start)
Review:The Three Questions-Leo Tolstoy
Overall The Three Questions by Leo Tolstoy has motivated many readers across globe.The best thing I learned from the story was when that bearded man told king that he was his foe but king kind gesture changed him completely.
This thing inspired him to do good things in this short life.A lil bit help can solve many issues in this world.So,try to lend a helping hand to the needy ones.
- For more book reviews,visit