The Great Gatsby is a successful book by F.Scott Fitzgerald.The novel shares a story of wealthy man Jay Gatsby and his hope and struggle for getting his love of life “Daisy Buchanan”.The novel had captivated readers because of its elegant and wonderful writing style that present great themes.This article will share 11 Fantastic Themes In The Great Gatsby.
11 Fantastic Themes In The Great Gatsby
- Thanks for being on our blog.Before reading The Great Gatsby themes,read:
The Great American Dream
You must had learn about the great American dream in the novel.What does the great America dream mean?Well,it’s a belief of many Americans that whenever will land in America, he’ll get a job and can stable his financial situation.This dream says one can get his goals of life in America.
Jay Gatsby was the one who had lived and achieved the great American dream.He had earned enough amount of money and has decent luxurious items.This all show the time of jazz age.It was the time of prosperity after end of world war 1.
- Author seems to sends a themes that highlights he was critique of great American dream.Although jay had achieved everything in his life but still the society treated him as an outsider.
- The Buchanan’s always showed arrogance to him.Morever,this novel also highlights how old riches just lived for themselves.
Old Riches Vs New Riches
The novel also show themes of riches.Old riches means those who had inherited wealth and never showoff their assets.Tom Buchanan and Daisy belonged to such riches group while Jay Gatsby belonged to new riches who had earned money by themselves and showoff money.
This theme also symbolize jazz age or roaring twenties period when people had lifestyle full of fun.Alcohol consumption and parties were normal at that time.
Love And Obsession
- Although Daisy loved made jay Gatsby to earn money and he achieved that but obsession for getting Daisy moved him far away from reality.He focused too much on pursuing love and gave a deaf ear to reality and present.
Moral Decay Of Society
- Tom cheated as well as Daisy.Two lives lost because of them.Myrtle tried to get Tom in her life but she ended up dead while Jay also paid the result of Daisy action.
- Nick was shocked when Daisy and Tom had given blind eye on Gatsby death.This themes shows the moral decay of society.People try to get things from us for sake of their needs and that’s what happened to Jay Gatsby.
The Buchanan’s treated Gatsby as someone outsider.Further,they never went on Gatsby funeral.Nick tried his best to contact them but they refuse.This shows how much arrogant the Buchanan’s were.They consider themselves different from other’s and that had created barriers.
Although Jay Gatsby had arranged some fascinating parties for sake of getting Daisy.If you see, these parties make you wonder how much fun Gatsby had but that’s not right.
The parties basically highlights emptiness or hollowness of society.Gatsby did all this for getting Daisy and he stopped doing that stuff after meeting her in novel.
- The parties highlights the illusion of Gatsby.He took every action for getting his lost love.
The Loss Of Idealism
Nick Carraway always seems to believe in the Idealism that love can resist class differences.On Gatsby and Daisy encounter at nick house,he thought their love can tackle everything but as he was indulging more and more in Jay and Buchanan’s life,his perception alters.
- Nick concluded at end that Buchanan’s were selfish people who ain’t had any empathy.
Wealth And Social Class
The reason Daisy stayed with Tom wasn’t that she loved him but because he had social class and status because he was the old rich while Gatsby was the self made one who just threw parties for getting her attention.
- This theme concludes that our money can’t take responsibility of our reputation in elite class.
- A themes of betrayal is also found in the great Gatsby.The old riches(Tom and Daisy)both betrayed the ones they had an affair.Tom deceived Myrtle(Wilson wife) while Daisy deceived Jay Gatsby.
The Roaring Twenties or Jazz Age
What’s does roaring twenties mean in the great Gatsby?Well,it was the time of post world war one in America around 1920-1930s.During this time, American progressed soo much and people had luxurious lifestyle.They spend huge money on parties and others stuff.
- Author wanted to send the negative impacts of jazz age lifestyle in the society.
Linking to past
Jay Gatsby was too much linked to his past and he always wanted to recreate his past that means he want to get Daisy back in his life.This attachment to past blinds him from the present moment and he paid for it.
Conclusion:11 Fantastic Themes In The Great Gatsby
This article had discussed 7 Fantastic Themes in The Great Gatsby by F.Scott Fitzgerald.This novel is highly recommended one as it’s full of themes of friendship, kindness, betrayal,class differences and love.
- If you had loved our blog and major themes in the great Gatsby,share it.